Friday, November 27, 2009

Culver's

Why review Culver's you may ask? Well, people from outside the Midwest probably haven't been, and Culver's is really good. Culver's is a burgers/frozen custard chain all over the Midwest. What is frozen custard? I'm glad you asked, thanks. Frozen custard is like soft serve ice cream, but richer and creamier. My understanding is that custard has more butterfat and egg yolk in it. It took me a few times to tell the difference, but frozen custard is waaay better. Waaaay. It comes in different flavors and you can get sundaes, shakes, cones, etc. I usually get vanilla custard with strawberries and cashews. I have to say they always hook me up with the 'shews. They've also got just about everything else you can think of to add to custard from nuts to berries to Reese's to gummy bears. Oh, and they have ice cream sandwiches with real oreo cookies. Shoot me.

Culver's is also a burger joint. The food is really fresh and high quality (for a burger joint). The burgers remind me of In-N-Out. I know, I know... that's sacrilege, you say. The burgers are grilled, though the grills must run hot, because there is usually a little char on there. Culver's also grills and butters the buns - thus the name Butter Burgers. You can get singles, double or triples. Also, when you order a meal you have lots of choices for sides. You can get fries, cheese curds, green beans, or a side salad. Culver's also has more "real food" than the usual burger joint. You can usually get several types of soup. I think they had four different kinds today. Vickie loves one of the salads. It comes with romaine, tomato, chicken croutons, and lots of shaved parmesan. She swears by it. At night, there's always a dinner special too. You know, real dinner like pot roast with mashers and green beans or something. They also have fish and chips, fried chicken, etc. It's all good (for a burger joint).

I've admitted before to being a food snob. That doesn't mean I don't like burgers. I just like good ones. For fast food, I think Culver's is as good as it gets, at least in the Midwest. Further, frozen custard can kick ice cream, frozen yogurt and gelato to the curb. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

  1. Culvers is the best. Hands down. I found one in Phoenix and I almost crashed my car trying to get to it. Double Butter Burger with cheese is just awesome. I thought the burgers were "griddled" tough. Not that it matters cause its awesome.

    ReplyDelete