Saturday, November 28, 2009

Parkway Restaurant - Madison, WI

We have a dearth of good breakfast places in Madison. It's kind of hard to explain. It really bothers me because back in Long Beach, we had a bunch of totally badass breakfast joints. We do have a favorite place, however, and it is pretty solid. We go to Parkway. Parkway is tucked away in the curve of an off ramp at Fish Hatchery and the Beltline. You don't really notice it. In fact, we've mentioned it to several people and no one seems to remember seeing it there. It's like a void in everyone's memory. However, the locals must know about it because it's usually packed.

Parkway is an old fashioned greasy spoon restaurant. It's family run. No frills, but clean. The Greek folks that own the place are always there. The service is great. Vickie and I take the kids. The busboy always knows we want the usual - two coffees and two hot chocolates with whipped cream. Vickie loves the fact that they always leave a pitcher of coffee on the table for her (us). Jane loves the pancakes. Thick, fluffy and not too chewy. Dec loves the French toast. Today Vickie got biscuits and gravy, though she usually get eggs and grits. The biscuits and gravy were good, not great. It's not perfect. I got the panhandle which is, you know, a panhandle dish with everything in it: hashers, onions, peppers, mushrooms, american cheese and a meat of choice , topped with three eggs. Their eggs are pan-fried in butter. Oh, I should also mention that they actually serve eggs over-medium. I don't know why this is so difficult, but lots of places can't make it happen. I usually get my pan handle with gyro meat, which isn't on the menu, but they hook me up. Today, however, I was feeling the link sausage. It was deeelicious.

I have a friend who said he didn't like Parkway. He explained that he was put off because they served him american cheese. I get it, but I have a couple of thoughts. First of all, the place is cheap as hell. You're not going to get gruyere . And second, I know they'd hook him up with anything he asked for. That's the kind of place it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment